Mornings for me has always been a bit hectic when trying to get all three girls up in the morning and ready to be out the door before 7 am. I, myself am NOT a morning person. And, just like myself — my kiddos are the same. Luckily for me, nothing like bribing them with mommy’s banana bread to get them brushed, washed and dressed in a hot minute.
Baking has always been one of my favorite pastimes, but finding a recipe that is simple, and healthy is a big check in my mommy cook book.
I have been making this awesome banana bread for my husband since we started dating, but it’s been a hit with the girls as well. The bread is not too sweet, very moist and great to serve in the morning for breakfast, snack or for dessert by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream (caution …drool factor). I also love the versatility in the toppings like adding in cashews, pecans or something sweet like Chocolate Chips or M&M’s. Prep time takes less than 10 minutes, but like all good eats, you’ll have to wait – best to bake night before and can also be stored in the freezer as well. The kids love it so much that they won’t even leave the crumbs!
Below is my version of ‘Mommy’s Banana Bread’.
- 2 (mashed) medium-sized ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup of sugar or 1/2 cup for those ‘sweet lovers’
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- cooking spray
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Combine all 8 ingredients into a large mixing bowl
- Mix on medium speed until you’ve reached a smooth consistency
- Coat the 8×4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray (I like to use Pam’s)
- Spoon batter into the pan and add your preferred toppings (we used M&M’s) to mixture
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 50 minutes or you can insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf to determine if the loaf is fully baked – toothpick will come out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan before serving.
Note: Use plastic wrap for left overs. Bread will last 5 days before hardening. Loaf can also be stored in freezer (up to a month) by wrapping it with aluminum foil. To thaw, unwrap bread and let stand at room temperature.
Enjoy and hopefully your family loves it as much as we do!